Sunday, May 1, 2016

Fungi Field Trip Post- Taylor Jones

The most interesting thing that I learned during the field trip was about portobello mushrooms. I don't particularly like mushrooms,  but I still found what was explained interesting. It was explained that a portobello mushroom is just a mature version of the crimini mushroom. And a crimini is just a variation of the common white mushroom. They are all an Agaricus bisporus. This intrigued me because a portobello is a more expensive item in the store  than its younger version, despite the fact that it is only a couple days older. I suppose calling it something different was just a great marketing move. Also, I had never realized how short some fungi's life span is. I suppose I never have payed much attention though. 
Below are the 3 different versions of the mushroom.


 Figure 1: Common White Mushroom
 Figure 2: Cremini Mushroom
Figure 3: Portobello Mushroom
Displaying IMG_6507.jpg
Displaying IMG_6507.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Hi Taylor! I was also surprised that the portobello has higher prices on stores than the younger ones. I wonder if what could be the reason for that? But anyways, like you I am not really into mushrooms, but after the field trip, I noticed myself aleays being intrigued by different species of mushrooms everytime I see one! I even notice if a plant is sick not.

    ReplyDelete