Monday, April 18, 2016

Mystery TSA Dish Bacteria by Taylor Jones

Day 0: Left is 37°C and right is Room Temp
Day 2: Left is 37°C and right is Room Temp



Day 7: Left is room temp and right is 37°C 
Bacteria from room temp lab bench




Day 0:
I was curious as to how much bacteria was around my area and on the tools used in lab, so I tested our lab bench’s sink handle, the lab bench, and the microscope’s coarse focus knob. I hypothesized that they would all be relatively clean since the lab benches are cleaned frequently, however I thought the microscope knob may possibly show some bacteria since many different people touch it often. To test my hypothesis I swabbed each of the areas and assembled to identical dishes, one of which was stored at room temperature (24°C) and the other at 37°C.  

Day 2:
On day two after looking at both dishes, only really one bacteria had appeared. On the room temperature dish there was one small round bacteria where I swabbed the sink handle. It seemed as though my area is relatively clean.

Day 7:
 A week later I observed a minimal amount of growth. I bacteria discussed from Day 2 grew in size, but was the only bacteria present in the room temperature sink handle. The 37°C microscope handle grew a single bacteria that appeared similar to the sink handle bacteria but slightly smaller. The last bacteria that appeared was a small rounded yellow bacteria from the lab bench. It only developed a single bacteria on the room temperature dish.

Bacteria:
It seemed that the yellow bacteria may have been a type of Staphylococcus, based upon the reference:

http://www.microbelibrary.org/component/resource/laboratory-test/3114-colony-morphology?limit=0&limitstart=0





1 comment:

  1. That's great that you were able to more or less identify that the yellow bacteria may have been Staphylococcus! I, unfortunately, was unable to identify any of mine but let me tell you they were NASTY. There are some disgusting amounts of bacteria growing under my acrylic nails. Almost enough to make me want to get them off! But not enough, long live the talons

    ReplyDelete