Thursday, April 21, 2016

TSA Microorganisms

Day 0:

24 degrees Celsius                                                               37 degrees Celsius
 




















I decided to take swabs from a classroom window, under the desk, under my nail, and between my toes. I suspected that I would find a lot of bacteria, likely good and bad, in the colonies that I expected would grow from all four samples. More colonies were predicted to be found in the 37 degree environment as it is significantly warmer than room temperature.

Day 2:

24 degrees Celsius                                                               37 degrees Celsius





















On Day 2, I found only a few colonies in the "under nail" and "between toes" samples in the 24 degree environment and more than 100 colonies each in the same samples placed in the 37 degree environment. This was surprising to me because I expected there to be at least some sort of growth in the "under desk" and "window" samples but no colonies grew.


Day 7:

24 degrees Celsius                                                                 37 degrees Celsius




















On the final day, before throwing the TSA plates out, I observed even more colony growth, in size and number of colonies, again mostly on the "under nail" and "between toes" samples. There was about as many colonies in the 24 degree plate as there had been in the 37 degree plate the week before. In the 37 degree plate, colonies grew mainly in size. One large colony grew in the "under desk" sample in the 37 degree plate, and in the same plate grew a very small colony in the "window" sample. Overall, I found myself both disgusted and impressed by the amount of bacteria that grew from between my toes and under my nails and likewise, disappointed by the lack of bacteria that grew from the other samples. I suspect that the lack of growth was due to the fact that the windows and desks are wiped down with antibacterial wipes and cleaning products regularly. All of the colonies that grew appeared to be a light beige/yellow color and were fairly flat against the gel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment